VOL. 10 | NO. 48 | WEDNESDAY 2 SEPTEMBER 2020 | HYDERABAD | PAGES 10 | `5.00 www.thehansindia.com Forecast: Thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy. Temp: Max.31°C. Min.24°C. Humidity: 75% Sunrise: 06:02 Sunset: 06:28 H Simultaneously published from Hyderabad | Warangal | Tirupati | Amaravati | Visakhapatnam | Khammam | Kurnool | Delhi H H Follow @ WINDOWS MF Husain ‘Voices’ sets new world record with `18.47 crore New Delhi (IANS): 'Voices', an artwork by the late artist MF Husain sold for Rs 18.47 crore -- the highest price ever fetched by any of the artists creations in a public sale -during an online auction 'Husain held by AstaGuru. This superlative composition (lot 14) was created during a signiﬁcant phase in the artist's career during the late 1950s, a time when he had become an artist of international repute, and amassed global exposure, with regards to his art practice and philosophy. The work is his largest creation from the 1950s. It was bought by an anonymous buyer at the twoday online AstaGuru auction of 36 lots of the artist's creations, including toys, jewellery and tapestry designed and co-created by the master. The solo artist auction achieved a total sales revenue of Rs 55,92,85,421 ($7,767,836), celebrating the legacy of India's most celebrated modernist through a collection of the artist's most iconic paintings created during an illustrious career. Devotees should not rub Mahakal Shivalingam: SC New Delhi (PTI): The Supreme Court Tuesday took note of the deterioration and erosion of Shivalingam at the ancient Mahakaleshwar Temple in Ujjain and directed that devotees should “do no rubbing” of the lingam. The apex court directed the temple committee to ensure that the pH value, which is used to specify the acidity or basicity, of ‘Bhasma' during ‘Bhasma Aarti' is improved and the Shivalingam is preserved from further deterioration. Passing a slew of directions to preserve the Shivalingam at the ancient temple, a bench headed by Justice Arun Mishra directed the temple committee to implement the best methodology to prevent any further damage. /thehansindia | /thehansindiaweb | /thehansindia | /thehansindia | /thehansindia H Metro Rail to chug from September 7 KUCH KARO MODI JI Borrow to pay GST compensation: KCR HANS NEWS SERVICE Hyderabad: Expressing deep concern over the Centre’s decision to reduce GST compensation and non-payment of dues to the state governments showing it as ‘Act of God’, Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao on Tuesday dashed off a letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi seeking his intervention. He urged the Prime Minister to strengthen cooperative federalism in this crisis situation and ensure that the country does not only overcome it but also emerge as a strong nation. KCR urged the Prime Minister not to deprive the States of their rightful claim in GST and see that justice was rendered to all States as per the GST Act. He took strong exception to the “unilateral decision” of the Centre to apply 10 percent growth to arrive at the gap in GST revenue for the year 2020-2021. The Chief Minister had already shot a missive to Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman expressing the State’s opposition to the Centre’s move. He said the GST council’s recommendation to the states to borrow to meet the shortfall in the compensation cess was not acceptable since it was not in accordance with the Act. The best option, he said, would be that the Centre borrows the money and clear the dues to the states. He said the Centre had violated the provisions of GST Compensation Act by parking the surpluses in the consolidated fund instead of parking them in the non-lapsable compensation fund in the Public Account. The states, CM said, are in the forefront ﬁghting Covid and reviving the stalled economies. States need more ﬁnancial resources than the Centre during the crisis time. Continued on Page 5 JEE in 27 centres amid strict Covid norms held HANS NEWS SERVICE Hyderabad: The ﬁrst session of the Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Mains for admission to IITs was conducted in 27 centres in Telangana on Tuesday. Examination centres were set up in Hyderabad, Rangareddy, Khammam, Nalgonda, Karimnagar and Mahbubnagar districts. Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) laid down by the National Testing Agency (NTA) was followed by sanitizing the exam centres before and after the exam. As per the SOP, the candidates appearing for the exam have to give a self-declaration stating they are not Covid-19 positive. They were advised to carry a transparent ballpoint pen, additional photograph, personal hand sanitiser, transparent water bottle and original identity proof to the exam centre. On arrival at the centre, the students were asked to dump the masks they were wearing in the dustbin and pick up fresh masks from a box kept nearby. Students, who wrote the test from 9 am to 12 noon, were satisﬁed with the arrangements made at the centres. They said the authorities ensured social distancing and provided fresh masks on arrival at the centres. Inside the centres, the seating arrangements were made with social distancing between the students. "There was no problem. Authorities had made all proper arrangements and guided the students very well," said a candidate who wrote the exam at a centre in LB Nagar in Hyderabad. Students had reached the centres two hours before the exam. There were tense Farmer rides 300 km to ensure daughter writes JEE exam Ranchi (IANS): Dhananjay Kumar, who lives in Bihar's Nalanda district, covered around 300 km in 12 hours to ensure that his daughter appears for the JEE examination at a centre in Ranchi's Tupudana in Jharkhand on Tuesday. As there is no bus service between Bihar and Jharkhand in view of the Covid-19 pandemic, Kumar started his bike journey in the wee hours on Monday from Nalanda district. He reached Bokaro after eight hours and continued his journey till he reached Ranchi, about 135 km from Bokaro, on Monday afternoon. "I found the bike the only option to cover such a long distance from Nalanda to Ranchi. Buses are not plying due to the coronavirus. While coming to Ranchi from Bokaro I was feeling sleepy. I stopped midway and took a nap and again resumed the journey with my daughter." moments for a few who arrived late at a couple of centres in Hyderabad. Parents, who accompanied the students, said they had a tough time in reaching the centres as the Road Transport Corporation (RTC) has still not resumed operations while metro services remained suspended. The second session of the exam began at 3 pm. The JEE (Main) exams will continue till September 6. Continued on Page 5 HANS NEWS SERVICE Khairatabad Ganesh being taken in a procession for immersion to Tank Bund in Hydearabad on Tuesday. Photo: Adula Krishna Balapur Laddu for KCR HANS NEWS SERVICE Hyderabad: The famous Balapur Laddu prasadam will be handed over to Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao as the Balapur Ganesh Utsav Samithi did not auction the Laddu this year in view of the Covid-19 pandemic. On the last day of festivities on Tuesday, the Utsav Samithi took out idol immersion yatra in a subdued manner. It was the first time in the last 26 years the laddu was not auctioned. The laddu has been fetching huge amounts in auction every year. In the first auction in 1994, a local farmer Kolan Mohan Reddy had bid the laddu for Rs 450 in the auction. As each year passed, the bids for the laddu increased and the auction gained more popularity in the Greater Hyderabad limits. The Balapur village people consider the laddu as Bangaru Laddu (Golden Laddu) as it is believed to usher in health, wealth and prosperity for them. Last year, the giant laddu fetched a staggering Rs 17.60 lakh in the auction. The money generated through the auctioning of the laddu is used for various developmental activities in the village. Following corona restrictions, the Ganesh Utsav Samithi had reduced the size of the Ganesh idol to six feet as against 21 feet every year. Adhering strictly to the safety norms, the utsav samithi did not allow devotees to perform regular puja and did not permit darshan by outsiders. A procession with limited members with Ganesh idol started in the morning . The idol was immersed in Hussainsagar lake late in the night. Hyderabad: Finally, Metro Rail will chug in Hyderabad from September 7 as the Telangana Government on Tuesday issued orders in-line with the guidelines for reopening of activities under Lockdown 4 announced by the Union Ministry of Home recently. The orders issued by state Chief Secretary Somesh Kumar said that the Metro Rail is permitted to resume operations from September 7 in a graded manner. Officials said that an action plan is being prepared in consultation with the authorities mainly Police, Health and Metro Rail authorities to ensure safe journey of all passengers and the staff. The SOPs issued by the Centre to resume services will be strictly adhered. Maintaining social distance among the travelling passengers is the first big challenge before the Metro Rail to operate the services hassle-free, officials said. The number of passengers travelling in each rail will be downsized by half of the total seat capacity. Initially, the services will be offered on a particular stretch and extend to other areas depending on the response from citizens. A special team will be created for regular sanitisation of the rail stations and inside the rail. The order also made it clear that bars and pubs will remain closed and separate orders will be issued for their reopening. Open air theatres will be permitted to open from September 21. TS dilly-dallying on reopening pubs, bars PATAN AFZAL BABU Hyderabad: Will the Telangana government follow Karnataka and permit re-opening of pubs and bars? In Karnataka, all licensed liquor vendors, including bars, pubs and microbreweries, have been permitted to sell liquor along with food with “up to 50 per cent seating capacity,” as Unlock-4 began from Tuesday. Sources here indicate that the TS government is yet to take a final call on the issue. The general thinking in the official circles is that it may be better if they wait for some more time, may be till the end of September before permitting bars and pubs to reopen since the intensity of spread of coronavirus is just coming under control. If Representational photograph pubs and night parties are permitted, ensuring social distance and following protocols like wearing of masks, etc may be difficult to enforce. This could result in surge of cases once again. Creating a mechanism to control gatherings at bars is not an easy task and could invite new trouble for the law-enforcing agencies. One of the options before the government is to give permission to reopen fixing the number of visitors for each bar and ensure strict implementation of the same. Though CCTVs are there in every bar, the size of the crowd cannot be restricted unless there is physical check by the law-enforcing agencies and that is what could be a new problem. Deploying policemen at every bar and pub is something that may not be so easy a task. Officials also fear that the possibility of spread of the virus in bars and pubs is more because they function in halls where there are no windows and the doors would be closed. Even if the number of entrants to each pub and bar is restricted, maintaining social distancing inside would be impossible. The air conditioners inside the halls could spread virus among the visitors. SOP for ensuring for the cooks in the bars also needs to be different. Continued on Page 5 Moratorium on loans for 2 years possible: Centre, RBI to SC Prime Minister Narendra Modi pays his last respects to former President Pranab Mukherjee at his residence, 10 Rajaji Marg in New Delhi on Tuesday New Delhi (PTI): The moratorium period on repayment of loans during the Covid-19 pandemic is “extendable” by two years and several steps have been taken to help the stressed sectors, the Centre and the RBI told the Supreme Court on Tuesday. A bench headed by Justice Ashok Bhushan was informed by Solicitor-General Tushar Mehta, appearing for the Centre and Reserve Bank of India, that the economy contracted by nearly 24 per cent in the April-June quarter due to coronavirusrelated lockdown and restrictions. The bench, also comprising Justices R S Reddy and M R Shah, said it would hear on Wednesday the pleas which have raised the issue of interest being charged on instalments Top security brass plans to deal with China New Delhi (IANS): India's top security and defence authorities are currently meeting to discuss the fresh Chinese incursions in Indian territory at Pangong Tso in eastern Ladakh. "A high-level meeting is underway to discuss the ongoing situation and future strategy in Ladakh," said a government source. Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar, National Security Advisor Ajit Doval, Chief of Defence Staff General Bipin Rawat, Army Chief General MM Naravane and Director General Military Operations Lt Gen Paramjit Singh are holding discussions on the further course of action. The meeting is happening after Indian and Chinese troops were engaged in a brief skirmish at the southern bank of the Pangong Lake. The Chinese brought in close to 450 troops but the Indian Army said an attempt to change the status quo was thwarted. ‘Problems bcoz border is not drawn’ Beijing (PTI): Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said that the India-China boundary is yet to be demarcated due to which there will always be problems and the two countries should implement the consensuses between their leadership to not let differences from escalating into conflicts. He also said that China is ready to manage all issues through dialogue with India. Wang, who is currently on a tour of Europe, made the remarks during an interaction at the French Institute of International Relations in Paris on Mon- day. In response to a question on China's relations with India and Japan, the minister did not directly refer to the latest provocative move by the Chinese military in eastern Ladakh. His remarks came hours after the Indian Army said it has thwarted a provocative Chinese army movement in eastern Ladakh to "unilaterally" change the status quo on the southern bank of Pangong lake. It is also the first major incident in the area after the Galwan Valley clashes on June 15 in which 20 Indian Army personnel were killed. which have been deferred under the central bank's scheme during the moratorium period. At the outset, Mehta told the bench that the Centre has ﬁled its affidavit in the matter. When the court said that it has not yet received the affidavit, he said the bench should look into it and the matter be listed after two-three days. Mehta said several steps have been taken for stressed sectors. “Let the Central government, RBI and bankers should put their heads together on the aspect of interest on interest,” he said. “The moratorium is extendable by two years,” he added. Mehta said that authorities have utilised the time and narrowed down the issue to the point on interest. “There are stressed sectors and national economy has contracted by 23 per cent,” he said, adding, “I have ﬁled the affidavit and heavens will not fall if the matter is taken after two-three days or tomorrow”. Mehta said this matter was not adversarial and authorities were trying to resolve the issues as the country is facing problems due to the pandemic.
thehansindia.com is a news portal which strives to keep you hooked on to news-as it happens. Our team aims to keep you abreast with whatever is making headlines across the world including politics, business, sports, lifestyle and entertainment. thehansindia.com is a part of The Hans India, an English Daily published across Telangana and Andhra Pradesh. The newspaper was launched in 2011 and publishes editions from Hyderabad, Visakhapatnam, Amaravati, Rajahmundry, Khammam, Kurnool, Nizamabad, Tirupati and Warangal simultaneously, the newspaper is on its way to becoming the leading English Newspaper in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh. We are soon going national too. The Newspaper is owned and operated by Hyderabad Media House Ltd, which also runs the Telugu-language news channel, HMTV. In a nutshell, we closely highlight socio-economic development of India in general and the two Telugu states in particular.